News Flash


Posted on: May 6, 2020

What do I need to do to install a shed?


To help answer some of your questions, sheds or accessory structures as the Clayton Zoning Ordinance calls them, do require a permit called a zoning certificate with Clayton. Any structure larger than 200 sq.ft. also requires a building permit with Montgomery County Building Regulations.

Here is a summary of the zoning regulations:

  • Only two detached accessory structures are permitted on a single lot. Only one of those structures may be greater than 200 sq.ft.
  • Structures must be placed in the back yard and a minimum of 3’ from the rear or back property lines. In addition, we strongly encourage structures to be placed outside of any recorded easements and in no case may impede the natural flow of water.
  • Accessory structures may be permitted up to 864 sq.ft. in size, however if the rear yard exceeds 20,000 sq.ft. the structure may potentially be enlarged up to 1800 sq.ft. (see formula in code).

Regulations may be found in Section 1187.15 of the planning and zoning code at

Zoning Certificate application may be found at

Montgomery County Building Regulations -,-2,-&-3-family

Directions on how to obtain aerial or plot plan for the ‘Site Plan’

Zoning Certificate Application
Facebook Twitter Email

Other News in Home



Posted on: June 30, 2020

Fireworks Information for Citizens

Posted on: June 29, 2020
Paper Shredding Flyer2020

Annual Document Shredding Event

Posted on: May 26, 2020

Clayton Government Academy

Posted on: June 10, 2020

Swimming Pools at Home

Posted on: May 5, 2020

Garage Sales FAQs

Posted on: May 6, 2020


Posted on: January 31, 2020